Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Praise for sustainable packaging: HP

My kids had been wanting a printer (for absolutely essential and non-negotiable-needs-to-be-printed homework for educational purposes only) so I invested in a small HP deskjet printer. I was pleasantly surprised on unpacking the box to see the ecologically conscious and creative way the printer was packaged. The printer was NOT packed in big blocks of environmentally-yucky expanded polystyrene as shown in the pic below:

Insteead, HP now pack using  board made from post consumer recycled waste and industrial paper waste and place the printer itself in a reusable shopping bag. See pics below:


See what HP say about packaging in their 2009 sustainability report and the reductions of packaging levels per product. Not only did I gain a printer, I also gained a bag for my shopping to add to my weekly shop collection, and I have less stuff the throw into my garbage. 

Well done to HP! Thanks for being environmentally conscious and helping me to be too!  


elaine cohen, CSR consultant, Sustainabilty Reporter, HR Professional, Ice Cream Addict. Author of CSR for HR: A necessary partnership for advancing responsible business practices Contact me via www.twitter.com/elainecohen  on Twitter or via my business website www.b-yond.biz/en  (BeyondBusiness, an inspired CSR consulting and Sustainability Reporting firm)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails